Impact Concussion Testing: Keep Your Head in the Game
Coaches and athletes involved in contact sports should understand the seriousness and signs of concussion. This is why the Casa Colina Sports Medicine Center now offers ImPACT, a tool developed to help protect athletes by the world’s leading authorities on concussion management. This simple 20-minute online test is used as a baseline to measure athletes’ cognitive skills in the pre-season. Then, if an athlete suffers a possible concussion, a follow-up test can be administered so we can offer the most appropriate treatment and avoid the risk of injured athletes returning to play too soon.
The facts about concussions:
- 300,000 sports-related concussions occur annually in the U.S.
- The risk of concussion in contact sports is estimated to be as high as 19% in a season
- MRI and CT scans are not effective at diagnosing concussions
- Most athletes recover from concussions, but some experience persistent cognitive and neurobehavioral difficulties
- “Second Impact Syndrome”, a second blow to the head when not fully recovered from a concussion, can be lethal
Left untreated, concussions may lead to Post-Concussive Syndrome, a disabling condition that causes:
- Chronic headaches and fatigue
- Sleep difficulties
- Personality change (e.g. increased irritability, emotionality)
- Sensitivity to light/noise and dizziness when standing quickly
- Deficits in short-term memory and problem solving
We know athletes want to get back on the field as soon as possible. But they may not listen to their body or understand the potential consequences of a concussion. After all, the symptoms can be subtle and easily go unnoticed by athletes, their family members, team medical staff or coaches. This is why it is so important to educate yourself about concussions. Start now with Casa Colina’s ImPACT program.
ImPACT’s current users include:
- National Football League
- Major League Baseball
- National Hockey League
- US Soccer Federation
- US Ski Team
- US Air Force Academy, Army and Navy
- 500+ Colleges/Universities and 1500+ High Schools
ImPACT is recognized as one of the most important tools in the game. Casa Colina’s Sports Medicine Center not only offers baseline and follow-up testing, but comprehensive treatment for concussions as well. We’re here to help protect athletes of all ages and levels of play.
To speak to a representative, please call 909/596-7733, ext. 3500 or toll-free 866/724-4127, ext. 3500.