Assistive Technology to Transform Lives in Southern California
Casa Colina's Technology Center is one of only a few facilities in California to offer such innovative assistive technology in a hospital-based setting.
Here you'll find a highly trained staff of physical, occupational, and speech therapists, some of whom are certified Assistive Technology Practitioners, plus state-of-the-art assistive technology devices, software, and remote-controlled equipment to maximize one's rehabilitation potential and overall quality of life.
Our team works with physicians, other therapists, outside assistive technology vendors and outside community resources to help evaluate patients' cognition, muscle strength, balance, coordination, gait, hearing, speech and vision. Then they will match you or your loved one with the technology to improve independent living skills and activities of daily living. You'll discover the most appropriate devices to enhance one's independence and productivity at home, school, or the office.
Who Will Benefit from the Casa Colina Technology Center?
We offer a wide range of assistive devices to help further enhance patients' rehabilitation and foster independence. The Technology Center is suited for inpatients and outpatients with a wide variety of acquired or genetic medical conditions, resulting in mild to severe physical disabilities, which include but are not limited to:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic head injuries
- Stroke and other neurologic conditions
- Parkinson's, MS and other degenerative diseases
- Developmental disabilities
Something for Nearly Every Physical Challenge
Casa Colina provides a broad range of innovative products and equipment to help patients of all ages and abilities overcome physical challenges. There are augmentative and communication assistive devices to help those with speech and language deficits communicate with others. There are assistive devices to help mobility-impaired patients manage their environments in the home or work, with remote-controlled equipment that can turn on lights or fans, open and close doors, and operate phones, televisions, and computers.
Our adaptive technology resources include:
- Bioness NESS L300 electrical stimulation unit for those with "foot drop"
- Bioness H200 electrical stimulation unit for those with limited upper extremity range of motion and function
- RTI E-Stim Bike stimulates upper and lower body while cycling from a wheelchair
- Computerized pressure mapping for safe and comfortable wheelchair seating
- Adaptive driving equipment and training for a wide range of physical challenges
- Blind assistive technology for low vision and the neurologically impaired
- Audiology testing and fitting for hearing assistive technology
- VitalStim therapy for swallowing difficulties
- Electronic Gaming Systems, such as Nintendo Wii, to encourage balance, coordination and endurance
- Adaptive computer equipment including voice-recognition and voice-activated software, and devices
- Adaptive phones from the California Telephone Access Program
- Gait Rite to examine how specific muscles are working during a variety of activity
- Delsys Surface EMG System records muscle function and response to activity
- Dartfish Motion Analysis records movement and allows measurement and analysis in slow motion
- Dynavision treats patients by increasing their peripheral vision, depth perception, awareness, eye-hand coordination, and reaction time.
- Neurocom BalanceMaster to diagnose and treat vestibular and balance conditions
Whether you or your loved one needs assistive devices for the home, office, or school, we'll carefully consider those that will offer the greatest comfort and independence. So before you invest in certain types of equipment, there will be an opportunity to try many of them first in our clinical setting. We offer education to help patients learn how to use these assistive technology devices in an outside setting. And once the appropriate equipment is ordered and delivered to the patient, Casa Colina therapists will also provide on-site training to ensure proper use and maximum efficiency and benefits to the patient.
We require a doctor's referral for the Casa Colina Technology Center. We accept most preferred insurance providers, including Medicare. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call Outpatient Services at 909/596-7733, ext. 3500.