Southern California Orthopedic Injury & Disease Rehabilitation
Regain Independence After a Joint Replacement
Casa Colina’s Orthopedic Injury & Disease Program at Casa Colina Hospital, a Joint Commission accredited facility, is a unique physician-directed program designed to help older or medically complex patients who have undergone knee or hip replacement surgery. Quite often, these individuals may also have additional physical or cognitive impairments that require special care in order to foster an optimal recovery from a joint replacement.
Research has shown that patients have a better recovery if they receive this type of care within 3 to 7 days after surgery. This unique inpatient program helps patients take full advantage of this window of recovery as they travel through various levels of rehabilitation. We offer more ways to help people regain their independence, return home, and enjoy their lives again.
Casa Colina’s Orthopedic Injury & Disease Program inpatient rehabilitation involves:
- Board-certified physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians and licensed nurses specializing in rehabilitation
- Doctors and nurses available around the clock
- All patient services directed by a physician
- A detailed clinical pathway of care designed for patients who have recently had a joint replacement
- At least 3 hours of therapy, a minimum of 5 days a week (may include physical or occupational therapies as well as other disciplines if needed)
- Weekly clinical-team conferences to discuss patient care and progress
- State-of-the-art medical and rehabilitation hospital facilities, including indoor and outdoor therapy gymnasiums, activities-of-daily-living suites, aquatic therapy pools, laboratory, imaging and diagnostic services
A treatment plan tailored for the individual.
Before we recommend a treatment plan, we take into consideration many different factors, including the patient’s response to the surgical procedure, any post-operative complications, and pre-existing health conditions. We also closely monitor the patient’s motor skills, including posture, mobility, and coordination. Our healthcare professionals consider all of the patient’s impairments as well as whether they are disease or age-based. We then provide a comprehensive assessment, prognosis, and rehabilitation plan for each patient.
While recovering from the temporary effects of surgery, we will help the patient with:
- Activities of daily living to resume independence with bathing, dressing, feeding and personal hygiene
- Walking to promote mobility
- Use of adaptive aids and equipment
- Endurance activities that involve pacing and energy conversation
- Pain management techniques using an interdisciplinary approach
- Upper extremity range of motion and strength
Other patients may only require Casa Colina’s Outpatient Services, where they may access a variety of programs that include:
Some patients may benefit from Casa Colina’s Home & Community Program, which brings therapists to the patient’s own home environment. The goal of this program is to help patients feel more confident within their everyday surroundings by practicing real-life tasks. This includes helping individuals to safely maneuver around the home, carry out their normal errands, access public transportation, and return to work or school. The program is completely customized to the individual’s lifestyle, priorities and goals.
We will do everything we can to ensure that patients recover from joint replacement surgery to their maximum functioning potential. Our experienced physicians and clinical team find innovative ways for joint replacement patients to regain strength and mobility so they can enjoy a rewarding and independent lifestyle as quickly as possible.
For more information, please call 909/596-7733, ext. 3900 or toll-free 866/724-4127, ext. 3900.